Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Such is life....

So as some of you may have already heard, my company will be closing the end of next week and I will officially be "unemployed" for the first time since I was 14...... As I think back, I have always had a job..My first job was as a dishwasher at the Ole Kettle in Breckenridge, I would ride my bike to work because I was so young I didn't even have a license yet, I was also so short that they had to get me a stool to stand on to reach the high shelves, and the cooks would always have to put things away for me that I couldn't reach.
When I was 15 I got my job at the Dairy Queen, which led to a massive weight gain my sophomore year, but I was happy..chubby...but happy. In the summertime I taught track, arts and crafts and other various Parks and Rec jobs.
When I was 16 I became a lifeguard and taught swimming lessons, which were the best two summers of my life, all I did was sit in the sun all day, chatted with my friends who also worked there and taught swimming lessons to cute little kids, it was the best, and as I look back on my teenage years, I wish life could be as simple and fun as it was then.
When I was a freshmen in college my parents made me get a job, although I did not have a car, which posed a bit of a problem.. Good thing I was fired about 5 months after I got that job.. That was the one and only job I had ever been fired from, and to this day I don't really know why...I was a cashier at Cub Foods and apparently my till was always off and I didn't scan coupons properly, I wasn't stealing, I was just confused, either way, I was relieved when that happened, that job was a complete nightmare and required me to take the bus to and from the ghetto of St. Cloud.. NOT COOL. So, to supplement my income, I needed a new job. I had a deal with mom and dad that they would give me 100$ a month...I had a meal plan at school so I wouldn't have to spend money on food, but no one can live on 100$ a month...so I had to get creative..... I mostly mooched off my roommate Megan, who was nice enough to let me, I would go with her to her parents house on the weekends (they only lived a few miles from St. Cloud) I would do all my laundry there, so I saved on that, and I would eat there all weekend as well... they were happy to feed a starving college student.... Then a great thing happened, the janitors of the dorms went on strike....Which meant they had to hire college kids to keep the dorms clean, and pay them a decent rate. So for 8$ an hour, I was assigned floors 3, 6 and 10 in a 13 story dorm, each floor had 4 bathrooms, and i only had to do the girls, so 2 on each floor, you did your own time card so sometimes... I may have exaggerated the time I actually spent doing it...So for about a month I would take my wet floor sign, my garbage can on wheels and rubber gloves and would hit up the bathrooms... and from then on, every party I went to someone was always like " Dude, you are the chick that cleans the bathrooms on my floor..." To me, it was a pretty good gig, I set my own hours, I got above minimum wage, no supervisor and some of the bathrooms had radio's, so I didn't get bored...My friends thought i was crazy, because college kids do not keep the bathrooms clean, some got pretty nasty, but I have never had a problem getting dirty or dealing with icky stuff...
For the next few years throughout college I answered my calling as a waitress, the nights got long, and late, but I always made good money, and good friends.... I can't imagine ever not working, I think that is the one thing my parents instilled in me that I still carry with me, a good work ethic.
So, in closing...my job will end this week and I will get severance until November 28th, meaning I get paid my normal paycheck for 6 more weeks.... I don't know what I am going to do with those 6 weeks, but I will try and come up with a money making scheme.....